Brumbaugh and Quandahl, PC

Address 4885 S. 118th Street, Ste 100
City Omaha
State Nebraska
Zip Code 68137-1045
Phone 1 402-554-4400
Fax 1 402-554-0339

When a credit collection agency becomes involved in debts that you owe, the original creditor is not legally obligated to negotiate the debt that you owe. Essentially the original creditor has sold that right to the debt collection agency. The original creditor writes this off as a loss which they can then use when doing their taxes. However, you the consumer, can still talk with the original creditor, and try to negotiate payment with them but if they accept, then they will lose the tax write off, and so you may not be able to clear the debt in that way.

Also, since the collection agency has purchased the debt, they are most unlikely to let the original creditor accept negotiation since they bought the debt and are now out the money. The original creditor is not legally obligated to negotiate the debt with you since the debtor/creditor relationship no longer exists between you and the original creditor.


Working with the Debt Collectors

Where does that leave you the consumer? Your best bet is to try to negotiate the debt directly with the debt collector, making sure that you get all the information to verify the debt and the negotiation terms in writing. You must also be sure to have them remove any negative information concerning the debt from your credit report in exchange for payment.

If you are having problems with the collection agency you are working with- you can contact Francis and Mailman to assist.


  1. Mr Muhd Allam says:


    Greetings Counselor,

    I am Mr Muhd Allam, I am a businessman and owner of the above
    named company from Asia and who apparently conducts his business in

    quieter ways.

    I come to you with a business matter that is unsettling my mind
    alot and with a view of seeking your assistance.

    I have some uncollected funds in the North America (USA)
    arising from some business transactions carried out this year.
    The payment is long overdue by more than 90 days.
    It’s really a setback I had not counted on, not small money you

    I want your legal advice and representation in recovering this debt.

    I await your reponse.

    Thank you.

    Yours faithfully,

    Mr Muhd Allam

Share your experience or comments

Francis & Mailman, P.C. is not responsible for the creation or development of the below comments and does not endorse the views or opinions expressed therein.

Do you have inaccurate information on your credit report? You may be entitled to compensation. Submit your case online to one of our attorneys for a free case review.

Free Case Review